Major General Major General Robert Dyess
Deputy Director, Army Capabilities Integration Center
Main Conference Day One
Thursday, May 25th, 2017
9:40 AM Spanning The Tactical, Operational And Strategic Dimensions: Mapping Out The UAS Threat Context
• How is UAS technology changing and what impact will this have on future countermeasures?
• Understanding the UAS threat through the eyes of the adversary – what systems will be used and for what purpose and in what environment?
• The tactical threat – single attacks at home and abroad: imagining scenarios of IED targeting and civil aircraft failure via deliberate targeting
• The operational threat – armed UAS in insurgency scenarios for ISR, C2 and engagement
• The strategic level threat – viewing the threat through the prism of warfare transformation in robotics, unmanned systems and information-centric war
• The challenges in developing common rules of engagement:
- How to identify an ‘enemy’ UAS versus friendly
- How to identify suspicious behaviour
When and where is it appropriate to engage with lethal/electronic countermeasures?
• Working within existing regulations on counter-drone measures in civilian air space